CODE Resonance Question

votes

Hello. On CODE amp models like the JCM 800, should I set Resonance at 0 since the real JCM 800 does not have a Resonance level to set? I know it's subjective and I can use it if I want, but I want it to be as close to the real JCM 800 as possible. I also hate coming up with one setting for Bass and another for Resonance, trying to find a good mix between the two.

Thanks!

asked 23 Jan 2018 at 06:17 PM

VICTOR MARTINEZ
Answers: 2

votes

Resonance is subjective to how much thud you want to hear. Some rooms are different, and having played many 800s I can tell you  that there is not one authentic JCM800 sound. They were all different sounding to me, and then sounded even more different in different size rooms..

How much Thud do YOU like, is the great reason to have this option available now!

Twist that knob from 0 to 10 and you'll see, every day is a new awesome day! ;)

God Bless Marshall

answered 27 Feb 2018 at 03:32 AM

ssolo 8 (2)
Thanks for the reply! But couldn't you do the same just by adjusting the Bass knob? Why two knobs that basically do the same thing? Unless Resonance is like another gear on a car that takes to a different level. Like Presence and Treble, which seem the same to me but are not. - VICTOR MARTINEZ 27 Feb 2018 at 06:54 PM
Though I may be splitting hairs here, it seems to me (and I desperately try to not get anal about minute sound preferences, to where I don't just play because I'm too busy tweaking) If I use the bass knob there comes a point where it obliterates the tone into a farting mess, as opposed to using the resonance which doesn't so much darken the sound but adds an "oomph" or "push" to your lower chugging notes without darkening the tone. The presence in the power section is the same to me. It can soften the brightness without losing definition or balance of the actual eq from the bass/mid/treble controls.. That's just me.. You are correct. Sometimes we have too much control and overthink things.. (although I do remember an 800 I played in the late 80s that always left my head pounding after gigs from the thickness of the sound.. Even turning down the bass it would still pommel me!! Would've loved to dial back the resonance on that one, if I could have)
I get myself used to changing this setting as often as necessary. Smaller rooms seem to demand less resonance (sound pressure??)
I'm thinking that one way to cancel these controls is to set them both the same.. ?
- ssolo 8 27 Feb 2018 at 08:23 PM
That's a great explanation of Resonance and Presence in contrast to Bass and Treble - thank you! - VICTOR MARTINEZ 27 Feb 2018 at 09:23 PM

votes

Resonance is subjective to how much thud you want to hear. 

Don Green

short life

edited 30 Oct 2019 at 02:06 PM

Don Green

answered 30 Oct 2019 at 09:15 AM

Don Green
Loading - please wait...