Random Sound Losses on Code 100

votes

I bought a Code 100 a couple of days ago, played it at the store with my Ibanez and worked perfectly for 10 minutes, decided to take it with me.

Took it home, plugged it in my room at 1/4 of the master volume and whenever I play I experience random sound losses, especially when I play lower notes, it buzzes and the sound drops to50%..or 20%, sometimes drops to zero. Then also regain 100% sound randomly, I don't know what's going on...if I strum a chord and let it ring and then ever so slightly give a little tap on the top of the amp - it sends interference noise and sometimes with a single tap the volume drops to zero...and then to 100 with another tap..and I mean giving a tap really gently, not punching or slapping the amp.

I've tried different sockets around the house and the issue persists, what can I do?

asked 16 May 2018 at 11:30 PM

Bruno Pinto
Hello Bruno.
I got a simmilar issue with my Code 50! I own it since 2019 and some days ago it happend to me too. In my case it was the whole setting. I mean I was playing guitar as usual and out of nowhere, I couldn't adjust the bass, gain (actually every potentiometer) but only to 47% instead of 100%. Some minutes later the sound (+bass, gain, trebble, middle) droped to 0%. And than the combo began preset the sound on its own. It came out of nowhere and I never had this problem before.
Have you any idea what to do?
- Erik Baran 13 Mar 2021 at 04:16 PM
Hi Erik,

My amp at the time was brand new and I didn't have the issue when trying it at the store so I ended up taking it back. After a couple weeks I got it back again and has worked perfectly ever since for almost 3 years now.

Don't know for sure what the issue was as it was sent to the brand for repair and I wasn't given any details on what was causing it, in the end I was happy that my amp sounded awesome again.

In your case, after 2 years of use I honestly don't have a clue what could it be, perhaps like previously mentioned in this thread it's an issue with the vibration and ends up rattling the pots, but I'd still take it to a shop as I myself don't know much about the technical side of these things, I just play it ;)

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
Bruno
- Bruno Pinto 13 Mar 2021 at 04:34 PM
Answers: 1

votes

Hello.

I'm going to take a flyer here:

I'm betting it's either the Master Volume pot. or the Preset Volume pot.  Try vigorously turning each pot. from full left to full right a few hundred times (with the amp. off of course) and then try again.  Not joking here either and if you do try this then please do let me (us) know if it kind of solved the problem (albeit temporarily).  I'm thinking that when the amp. is soft then no problem but as soon as it's on full tilt then obviously there will be vibration and, well, maybe it's rattling the pots. (there's loads of complaints / posts around here about the Master Volume issue and it's the pot. NOT the firmware).

Regards,

Dale. 

P.S.  Also try tapping on the Master Volume and Preset Volume pots. (again: taking a flyer but more particuarly the Master Volume pot.).  See what happens.  Am curious to know.

edited 17 May 2018 at 07:43 AM

Dale Paterson (105)

answered 17 May 2018 at 07:42 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Hello Dale,

Sorry for the late reply - I actually tried everything you said. Tapping on the pots instead of the amp itself seemed to work like magic at first, but that joy was short lived as soon after tapping on the pots wasn't doing anything as the sound kept buzzing on lower notes and crashing.

Also turned the volume pots a lot of times to each side but that one really did nothing unfortunately.

When I plugged the amp to the computer, every song I put from youtube as soon as the any basstrack kicks in, sound drops and/or crashes, even more aggravated than when playing lower notes on the guitar.

Decided to take it to the dealer today and they took it to see if its reparable or it has to be sent to the brand.

I honestly conclude that it was a faulty amp - I'm just curious to why I didn't have any issues when I first tried it at the store.

Thanks for your input nonetheless,

Regards,
Bruno
- Bruno Pinto 25 May 2018 at 06:25 PM
Hi Bruno.

My pleasure. Sorry it didn't solve your problem. Have to admit I was kinda hoping it would (I'm on a mission to try sort out this Master Volume issue and I still believe it's the pots. used so had banging the pots. solved your problem it would have given me hard evidence!!! LOL!!!).

For what it's worth (may make you feel a little better): I have 5 CODE amps and other than this Master Volume issue I've not had a single problem to date (have had the first CODE50 for just over a year now). Actually I lie come to think of it: ONCE one of the CODE50's lost volume for no ryhme or reason and it didn't matter what knobs I turned it just would not come back. Switched it off and on again and never had a problem since. Other than the aforementioned: no sound problems, no bluetooth issues, no firmware issues, nothing, nada. And as I've said before around these parts: I've had Marshall valve amps. in the past and with the right presets and tweaking etc. you can get these things to sound just as good (I'm sure I'll take some flak for that statement but I stand by it).

Anyways. Please let us now the outcome (not sure if you'll be given details of whatever was wrong though).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 26 May 2018 at 06:03 AM
Hi Dale,

I completely missed your reply - sorry about that!

Don't know for sure what the issue was as it was sent to the brand for repair and I wasn't given any details on what was causing it, in the end I was happy that my amp sounded awesome again.

Has been working just fine for almost 3 years now and happy with it :)

Regards,
Bruno
- Bruno Pinto 13 Mar 2021 at 04:41 PM
Loading - please wait...