External Volume boost on dirty presets

votes

First of, I’m very pleased with my Code25...its overdriven/distorted presets, like the Sweet Jubilee, made me rethink my tone preferences and I’ve even played pub gigs without ever needing to go over Master volume 5!

Now, what would really help me make it my go-to gig amp is figuring out why I can’t use a pedal (like the TC Spark or EHX Soul Food) to boost the volume of dirty presets. I experimented with the clean “So American” preset and the volume boost is noticeable, but when trying on dirty presets, the tone changes, but volume remains constant. I noticed the same thing with the amp’s own preFx section...the overdrive/distortion or compressor levels don’t really make a difference in the overall volume.

Thanks in advance for the support!

asked 05 Oct 2018 at 07:09 AM

Norberto Pancera
Answers: 1

votes

Hi Norberto

When using a clean boost or compressor into an overdriven amp or drive pedal you actually end up clipping the front end which will actually give more gain and saturation. This applies to any amp or setup. The reason why it works on cleaner sounds is because you have ‘headroom’ so you will notice a difference in volume. 

The way most plays achieve a volume lift is by putting clean boosts or compression after the drive section, wether it be the drive on an amp (boost in the FX loop) or drive pedals (boost after the pedal). 

The idea with Code is that you can have different presets set for different volumes. 

Hope this helps

Marshall Support

answered 05 Oct 2018 at 02:14 PM

Loading - please wait...