El84 20/20 right side volume issue

votes

I have been using my El84 20/20 with a 2x12 1936 cab in stereo for 5 years.

Resently the right side has started to  intermitently  go quite compared to left.

Ive had it looked at by my local repair shop but they cant find the issue

and I ve changed the power tubes on the right side only to see if that sorts it.

It didnt.

I cant find much about the same problem online so I guess its not common.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

asked 27 Mar 2020 at 02:47 PM

Jan Christiansen
I did as you suggested and the problem follows the output of the amp ie
the speaker connected to the output in question drops in volume.
I would ideally like to run the amp into a 1x12 which is not recommended with this amp.
Does that still apply in this case where the right side doesnt work?
And if not, how can I find a qualified Marshall tech in my area?
Can I assume that an authorized dealer can fix it?
Cheers

Jan

- Jan Christiansen 03 Apr 2020 at 09:51 AM
Hello Jan,
If you go to our website www.marshall.com and click on find my dealer you can then search for authorized dealers in your area that can look at your amplifier for you.

Kind Regards
- Lee Tomlin 03 Apr 2020 at 03:50 PM
Answers: 1

votes

Hello Jan,

Are you using the MONO input on the amp or 2 channel stereo inputs from an effects unit ?

If you are using both channels wired in stereo, I’d suggest just using the MONO input on the amp.
If the fault goes away then the fault will be with his effects unit or cables between the FX unit and the amp.

If the fault persists, I would suggest swaping left for right on the outputs from the amp to the cab and see if the fault stays on the same side – In which case the cab is at fault.

If the fault follows the speaker swap, then the fault is with the amp, this could be the output transformer for the offending channel, but we would suggest that you have it looked at by a qualified engineer. 

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 30 Mar 2020 at 11:20 AM

Loading - please wait...