Did I Make a Mistake Getting the JCM 800 instead of a Plexi? / Speaker Opinions for the 1960B

votes

Looking for that Jimmy Page clean mid-range grind from the film The Song Remains the Same, not record - (and yes, I know he used a Plexi and had his Paul modded)  / Steve Jones Never Mind The Bullocks grind (and yes, I know, he used a Fender Twin with a Custom Paul). I want to get in the ballpark of these sounds if possible, but I'm afraid I have the wrong head and DEFINITELY the wrong speakers (1960B 4 X 12 with G12 T - 75's which are garbage IMO). Here's my set-up, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guitar: 2001 Les Paul Standard with Alnico 2 PU's. If you have alternative pick up suggestions (Whole Lotta Humbucker, PAF's?) or Capacitor Suggestions (which I heard make a big difference) please feel free. My real concern is:

JCM 2204 50 Watt from the 80's - I've read that this is more of a metal amp. That's what I'm not going for. I'm wondering if I should have saved up and gone for a Plexi - it's that classic, relatively clean grind with that mid-range hump that I'm going for. Is this true? Can anything be done - it simply has no clarity and is muddy, no matter what is done through adjusting knobs (pre-amp, master vol., gtr. vol., drive pedals MXR). This brings me to my next question concerning speakers. I've done a considerable amount of research, but seem to be going down a rabbit hole of more questions. Once again, any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Speaker Replacement Options for the G 12 T - 75's

1. Two Alnico Blues with Two G 12 M's - I know that the Blues are louder and more aggressive than the GB's. I've also heard the The Blues can blow out a 50 Watt Head - is this true?
I love the blues because they cut and grind, even if they are a tad aggressive. Perhaps the combo with the G 12 M's could temper it a bit (they're creamy). Is this combo possible? Will it sound unbalanced since the blues are louder?

2. Investing in Scumbacks or Webers but which ones? Honestly, I prefer the Alnico blues and G 12 M's after hearing a comparison between Scumbacks and G 12 Heritage and G 12 M's on YT, but I may be missing out on something here because better, more experienced players than me rave about them.

3. Two G 12 M's and Two G 12 Heritage - I've read conflicting reports on whether they jive together.

4. Four Heritage?

Thank you and once again any help would be appreciated.

asked 30 Apr 2020 at 09:18 PM

Benjamin Simborski
Answers: 0
Loading - please wait...