Marshall Code super sharp frequency making ears hurt

votes

I've had my CODE since the release days, and haven't really used the speakers at all until now since I lived in an apartment until now, so only used it for recording through the USB port before.

Now that I've been playing it for real for a couple of weeks, I've noticed something worrying. Even at the lowest volume the amp produces a terribly sharp frequency that is seriously hurting my ears. I've tried literally every stock preset and there's no difference, it's completely static. I've tried adjusting the gate,presence and every possible setting without any difference. So I suspect(actually hope) that something is broken and that it's just not the nature/sound of the amp, cause that would not make for a very usable amp. 

I can crank my other amps without this issue, so it's not my ears that are broken. I've been speculating about the speakers being so unused that they need to loose up with time, but that is just wishful thinking perhaps?

I was hoping someone else could relate to this and have experienced the same thing, and possibly a solution?

Thanks in advance.

asked 07 Apr 2017 at 02:43 PM

Benjamin Bolgakov
Hi Benjamin,
It may well be that the speakers just need 'breaking in' however if you are concerned that it may be something else could you please send a recording to servicedesk@marshallamps.com for us to take a look at. As there is no problem recording through the USB i would suggest maybe recording on your mobile phone and sending us the clip if at all possible.
Team Marshall
- Marshall Amplification 10 Apr 2017 at 08:40 AM
Hello and thanks for answering! I did make a small clip through my phone: https://soundcloud.com/benzel-4/test2code but I have reason to believe it's out of frequency range for my phone's microphone. In addition to the quality being quite rubbish. Although I think you can hear something similar to what I hear through my ears, I can't determine if that is the same sound I'm writing about or simply the quality difference in my phone's microphone producing that "screeching" sound. Would you recommend running a bass through the amp to "loose" up the speakers? I've heard people meantioning that in other forums.

Thanks!
- Benjamin Bolgakov 12 Apr 2017 at 10:36 AM
I experience that a bit depending on the settings. You say that other amps do not do that. Have they been in the same place as the Code is? It could be room dynamics oscillating certain frequencies. You might try moving the amp or elevating the front a bit to create different bounce of the sound waves. Try it and report back, please. - Dave Witek 30 Apr 2017 at 03:09 AM
Answers: 0
Loading - please wait...