Gateway CODE Software Song Recording Question

votes

Hi,

I'm excited to buy a new solid state CODE 50 or 100 as my main gig/practice/recording amp. Before I do, can someone please explain if the included Gateway software can actually record new songs onto my windows pc via the USB port, and can it save the song as an mp3 or wav file, which I can later import into my DAW software to edit?

thanks,

Bill

asked 25 Jul 2017 at 11:01 PM

Bill Loughlin
Hi Bill,

The Gateway software is only to control the amp from your phone, it is not recording software.

Kind Regards

Team Marshall
- Lee Tomlin 26 Jul 2017 at 08:08 AM
Answers: 3

votes

Hey Bill.

Already been answered but for the sake of clarity: your DAW software (on your PC) will simply recognise the CODE as an audio device (for both input and output) so you can record directly into your DAW software from the amp.

One thing though (based on my personal opinon and preference): recording directly from the CODE via USB may be a a bit dissapointing at first.  This it not a shortcoming of the amp. at all but rather a general issue with this type of thing.  You are recording in mono via USB (and in spite of also being able to use the headphone / line-out jack for recording, which is a stereo jack for playback, the recording output from this jack dual mono).  This results in a thin, mono, sound.  What I'm saying is to not expect to get the same "monster" sound that you hear coming from your Marshall (when recording direct).  My solution has been to mic. up 2 x amps.  using a stereo delay pedal to spli the guitar signal.  But if this is not an option: I did find that adding some type of stereo widening plug-in (or at very least some type of stereo effect) to the recorded track solves the problem.  In spite of this: I can tell you that the recorded sound is by far (and I do mean BY FAR) superior to any type of amp. sim. software (believe me: I've wasted loads of $$$ on the likes of Amplitube, Guitar Rig Pro, Line 6, you name it).  Nothing comes close to the Marshall sound.  You can also try adding cabinet impule responses etc.  to the recorded track but there's no substitute for the sound that comes out of the Marshall's speaker cab.  But to be honest: I've ditched the lot and only use the Marshall's and I could not want for better sound.

Regards,

Dale.

answered 27 Jul 2017 at 09:53 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
You can record double track and get stereo in the end or I don't understand some thing? - Denis Moysienko 30 Jul 2017 at 11:49 AM
Hi Denis.

Well true: you can double track your guitar (play / record the same guitar track twice) (I assume this is what you mean anyway). But this is one of my favorite arguments (on other forums): you cannot do this live i.e. when live you have one take and that's it. It's a personal preference of course i.e. I favor that live ambience over studio sound any day of the week. Not to mention the fact that when I record I like it to be as close as possible to what I played / sounded like without spending days tweaking and mixing and adding a dozen effects and eventually coming out with something that may (or may not) sound way better than what actually was the case at performance time (as I said: this just me and I know that many will disagree). I subscribe to the notion of WYHIWYG ("What You Hear Is What You Get"). Then again and to be honest though: the only recording I'm really interested in for me is recording live performances anyway so it's not really an issue for me (but of course I had to test the CODE's USB recording function and that's how come I know it results in a thin, mono, recording) (which is annoying. to say the least, to my ears anyway). And a tip for others: best way to hear what you sound like is with headphones (with headphones you'll very clearly hear what I'm talking about i.e. that thin, buzzing, mono sound that seems to becoming from inside your head!!! LOL!!!). But I'll say this: even the CODE's mono USB sound is better than all of this amp. sim. software (again: personal preference and opinion really but trust me when I say that I have just about all of them and I really could not be bothered to sit for days on end creating and tweaking software and trying to get a decent sound when I know I can simply power up my Marshall's and simply have what I want) (as noted: micd. up and in stereo for me of course).

For the sake of those who don't know about double tracking (or would not be able to, for a variety of reasons, be able to record the second track very precisely) one can record one track, duplicate it, pan one track hard left and the other hard right, and nudge the second track by a few milliseconds, then apply some type of stereo effect (chorus, delay) with slightly altered settings to each track. This is a type of "pseudo double track". It does work but one has to be careful of phasing. Truth be told: chances of me playing / recording a second, very accurate, track are slim to none anyway (especially when it comes to solos)!!! LOL!!!

One other thing (that may fool some): depending on your DAW software you may see that the DAW software is recording stereo from the CODE USB i.e. you may well have a left and a right track being recorded. Don't be fooled i.e. it's just dual mono that you're recording.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 30 Jul 2017 at 04:42 PM
Thanks again guys for all your advice and info!

Cheers,
Bill
- Bill Loughlin 30 Jul 2017 at 07:44 PM

votes

Hey thanks for your answer! So just for my understanding, can I connect a CODE amp via USB cable directly into my windows pc computer, and then record directly into my DAW (pro tools) to create songs in .mp3 or .wav format, or do I still need to buy a mixer interface unit to record from a CODE amp?

edited 26 Jul 2017 at 06:01 PM

Bill Loughlin

answered 26 Jul 2017 at 06:00 PM

Bill Loughlin
Hi Bill,

You can connect your amp to the PC via USB and use recording software to record, the Gateway software you mentioned is an app for your phone.

Kind Regards

Team Marshall
- Lee Tomlin 27 Jul 2017 at 08:21 AM

votes

Hey Dale,

Wow thanks so much for your detailed answer. Great info. I'm just getting into building a small home recording studio and have been pricing/researching affordable gear, such as the shure sm57 dynamic mic, and the yamaha mg10xu mixer, as well as possibbly the krk rokit 5" desk monitors. The new CODE amp will be my choice for my studio/rehearsal amp! Waiting for the new CODE 100w 2x12 to arrive, which will be able to handle our live gigs too.

thanks.
Bill

answered 27 Jul 2017 at 10:21 PM

Bill Loughlin
Loading - please wait...