Marshall Code 50 sounds awful

vote

I recently bought a marshall code 50 and I am really dissapointed. Any tips for making it sound better? I have spend ages on it trying to get a good high gain tone but it just sounds 'boxy'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited 14 Apr 2021 at 01:55 PM

edis onkeith (1)

asked 01 Apr 2021 at 01:52 PM

edis onkeith (1)
That makes two us . Mine sounds dire too and no amount off tweaking improves it. There is no output socket to I can't try a different cab, although I doubt it would help anyway. Total disappointment all round. - Phillip Robinson 11 Apr 2024 at 08:53 AM
Answers: 2

votes

Hello Edis

The one thing I would say is that the Code amps are quite directional, and being closed back can have a lot of bass. I would consider lifing the amp off the ground and if possible tilting it back a bit (stick it on a stool or put something under the front of it).

One mans high gain is another mans light crunch, so what sort of artists do you want to actually sound like, is there no downloadable patches from this site that have artists with the sounds you want?

There are a lot of possible options and combinations with these amps, so its best to simplify things when looking for a sound, you could try switching off everything, in particular the cab section and power amp section and play with the different pre-amps and distortion pedals to see if you can get a sound you like. you can then try adding in power amps, cabs and effect to see if you can improve the sound. You dont need power amps or cabs, so if it sounds better without them just keep them switched off.

Lastly, there are lots of youtube videos of the code, see if you can find one with a sound you like, the chances are their sound patches will be available either in the video or on this site.

I hope this helps.

answered 02 Apr 2021 at 08:35 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
I am new to this amp. The biggest improvement in sound that I have experienced is what Jake said: get it off the ground. I have it on blocks 3 “ off the floor.

As he also recommended you can fiddle with every setting and many combinations of elements, but for me the most impactful for getting a good high gain sound have been:

Start with bass treble and mid at 5, and adjust these last
Use the Guv distortion
Find a cab sim you like (I like 1960HW and 1960V). Do not turn the cab sims off as some have suggested.
Turn resonance down, and try different presence settings (I turn both down)
Listen from 10ft away, not 2 feet away from the amp
- Tom Joyce 05 Apr 2021 at 12:21 AM

votes

Much like you i was kinda disapointed in the code 50. I lifted off the ground and all that. the i removed the back plate, tuended the power amps on with the cabs on and set the presence and resonance. Let me tell you..... it made a world of differance. put it back down on the ground because i think it sounds better.

answered 01 Oct 2021 at 09:35 PM

Mike Loague
Loading - please wait...