Code 50 Master Volume Adjustment

votes

Hello,

is there a solution for a better adjusting the Master Volume of the Code 50 . Actually i turn the Master Volume to 1, if i turn it up to 1.4 it's too loud. I don't want to adjust the PreAmp Volume, cause it will change the tone. I want to adjust the overall sound with the Master Volume and keep all the tone settings, no matter if i play at home or with the band. I also read the article "CODE 50 Master Volume Issue " from 26.Oct.2016. Is there a solution in the meantime?

Regards
Wolfgang

asked 30 Jan 2018 at 01:57 PM

Wolfgang Nilges (2)
Yes, Wolfgang, I've got exactly the same problem with my CODE 25C. I use it mainly for PC recording via USB. For all clean preamps, when I set gain for maximum, but not distorted sound, and preamp volume to 10 the signal coming to my PC is about -12dB, or sometimes even less. Decreasing preamp volume also decreases signal level, while decreasing master volume does not influence the signal. Unfortunately the master volume can be set either too low or much too high... - Jacek Klimkiewicz 30 Jan 2018 at 02:43 PM
If you want to use the master volume you must record through lineout/phones - Denis Moysienko 31 Jan 2018 at 03:54 AM
Sorry, Denis, it seems to me that you did not understand what I wrote... I absolutely don't want to control outgoing signal level with master volume pot. For USB recording I MUST set preamp volume to max, otherwise the signal is too weak. Then I want to set sound level with maser volume, and I can't do that. When I turn the knob clockwise starting from zero, the sound is too silent, and suddenly becomes too loud. - Jacek Klimkiewicz 31 Jan 2018 at 07:49 AM
Answers: 1

votes

I have (3) suggestions to consider...

1. Create a copy of the preferred Preset then try to adjust the volume to get the levels that will work. Then switch between the two Presets depending on the requirement.

2. Use the volume control on the guitar. Stratocasters have excellent volume pots and make it easy to dial in the volume without causing excessive signal loss or changing the tonal qualities. Les Pauls don't seem to have the same level of sensitivity for some reason. Gretsches have a master and this works well also.

3. Use a volume pedal. Real old school but very reliable. Only issue might be if the pedal changes the tone in some way. If you have a retailer nearby that stocks pedals like this, take your gear to the store and test some pedals. The better models should not add resistance to the signal path, or alter the tone settings.

Some time ago I presented Marshall with the suggestion of a power level control similar to the VOX solution. Maybe this will appear on the next versions of the equipment.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

answered 31 Jan 2018 at 03:10 AM

Dave Duncan (57)
Loading - please wait...