Code 50 says 'Ready for Update', but won't.

votes

Cable plugged in to both computer and Code 50. Display shows 'Ready for Update' - but neither the browser or Desktop Utility will connect.

Rebooted everything and tried from laptop. Same results. What's wrong?

Why can we not update via bluetooth connection rather than USB cable?

asked 07 Jul 2019 at 10:00 PM

Ernie Barnard
Answers: 11

votes

Maybe wrong browser? You need one with MIDI, just like Chrome. Edge won‘t work. 

answered 08 Jul 2019 at 04:19 AM

Mark Lüttger (32)

votes

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did use Chrome. Tried fireFox and Opera as well. Tried 3 different USB cables thinking maybe I had a bad one.

I followed the instructions and made sure MIDI was enabled in Chrome also. Still no joy.

answered 08 Jul 2019 at 12:57 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

I have passed this to our team to look into for you.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 09 Jul 2019 at 10:46 AM

votes

The USB port is a bit out of shape and I have to move the cable to get it in right position. Is there a replacement part (USB port) for this?

answered 09 Jul 2019 at 12:58 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

The USB ports are attached to the main board, I would suggest contacting your local dealer and they can arrange for an engineer to look at the amp for you.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 09 Jul 2019 at 01:14 PM

votes

It's long out of warranty at this point. I'm not sure I want to pay a bench fee to fix a design / manufacturing defect. I was considering the Code 100 for larger venues, but this pretty much changes my mind on that purchase now. If Marshall would have allowed updates via bluetooth connections - this would be a non-issue. Fender amps allow you to update via internet connection. No cables required. I appreciate all the comments and help though - very impressed at the quick responses.

answered 09 Jul 2019 at 05:06 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

We are sorry to hear this, could I ask when you purchased the amplifier. We will pass your feedback onto the team regarding Bluetooth/internet updates and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us .

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 10 Jul 2019 at 08:00 AM

votes

I purchased it about 2 years ago from a local (smaller) music shop. They don't have Marshall techs and have to send it out for any repairs.

An added expense that I really don't want at this point. I like the Amp, but for the price point, can't see putting more money into this one.

And catch 22 - if Marshall would fix it so we can use Bluetooth to update - I'd probably have to have the USB port to perform the update to get to that feature.

I haven't pulled the back off yet to look - but imagine this USB cable would be a fairly easy swap if I could get the cable from Marshall.

answered 10 Jul 2019 at 02:49 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

Please email us at servicedesk@marshall.com and we will get this passed to the team in the USA.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 12 Jul 2019 at 02:07 PM

votes

E-Mail sent to address provided on the 12th. No response as of yet. I'm guessing that all I would need is a replacement USB cable ( internal ) and I can again update and modify this amp.

answered 15 Jul 2019 at 07:42 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

All received, we have passed this to the team.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 16 Jul 2019 at 08:00 AM

votes

Looks as if I now have a boat anchor with the 'Marshall' Logo on it.

Reply from Marshall authorized technician:

"I heard back from my Marshall rep and unfortunately the usb jack isn’t available separately from the PCB. Let me know if you would like the part/ordering information on that PCB."

Live and learn...

answered 23 Jul 2019 at 09:05 PM

Ernie Barnard
Hi Ernie,

Have you contacted the shop where you purchased the amplifier, and ask them about a warranty repair.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 24 Jul 2019 at 06:43 AM

votes

I've had the amp over 2 years and purchased from a small retail shop. I'm sure there would be repair and shipping costs involved.

I can't see investing another $80 - $100 in this amp.

Just sorry my first Marshall amp has changed my opinion in buying again.

answered 24 Jul 2019 at 01:45 PM

Ernie Barnard
Anyone interested in a Code 50? Bad USB port - but works otherwise. - Ernie Barnard 22 Aug 2019 at 03:39 PM

votes

I am unable to find ANY replacement parts for the Marshall Code 50. If anyone has suggestions - I'm open to any.

answered 22 Aug 2019 at 04:43 PM

Ernie Barnard
Parts can be purchased through our distributor in the US, if you go to our website www.marshall.com and click on find your retailer you can find a dealer in your area who can help order the part you require.

Kind Regards
Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 23 Aug 2019 at 07:47 AM

votes

They cannot get Marshall parts evidently.

I also tried:

www.amprepairparts.com ( Studiosoundelectronics.com )

And:

https://www.marshallparts.com/catalog/marshall-amp-parts-0

Neither can get the parts. The latter link replied that they no longer carry Marshall parts.

A lesson learned. Very disappointed in Marshall brand.

answered 23 Aug 2019 at 07:06 PM

Ernie Barnard

votes

I've given up on Marshall. Even authorized service centers can't get parts. Very sad.

Looks like the Vox AV60 would be a good replacement for those looking for this type of guitar amp.

I'd recommend staying away from Marshall brand myself... But hey - that's my opinion.

answered 06 Sep 2019 at 06:01 PM

Ernie Barnard
Loading - please wait...