CODE 50 POWER

votes

Is there any way to reduce the wattage on the code 50.  50 watts is tremendously loud and I can not get the "sweet spot" with out rattling the windows.  I know the alternative is the CODE 25 but I am hesitant with the 10" speaker.   Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!!

asked 31 Oct 2016 at 01:53 PM

CHRIS CHARTERS
Answers: 4

votes

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately there is no way to reduce the wattage, its a case of playing with each preset, make sure you check the gate within each preset.

Regards

Team Marshall

answered 31 Oct 2016 at 02:18 PM

I will try that and also will give a volume pedal a shot as well! - CHRIS CHARTERS 02 Nov 2016 at 09:07 PM

votes

Whilst you can't reduce the wattage you can at try reducing the Volume and then control with the Master. The gain might be an option as well. A number of people have suggested that the 50 can be used at bedroom levels its just a question of reducing the levels and still controlling from the guitar volume as desired.

I can definitely vouch for the 25 though its a very good sound in my music room (dining room conversion) and its damn loud if I want it. check out the marshall forums (marshallforum.com) there are a number of popele on there playing with 25's and 50's.

edited 31 Oct 2016 at 08:53 PM

Alan Unwin (13)

answered 31 Oct 2016 at 08:53 PM

Alan Unwin (13)

votes

Same issue for me - I've just finished going through ALL the presets, reducing the preset volume to something decent that matches with the levels coming through Bluetooth Audio, and I can now use the Master Volume comfortably at the lower end.  I'm sure there'll be some fine tuning to come, but I had to dial everything down to between a quarter and a third of the original volume - yes, the 50 is LOUD!!  I don't remember ever getting these volumes from my 30 year old 65W Laney.

answered 17 Nov 2016 at 09:18 PM

Brian Campbell

votes

You CAN reduce the wattge. The amp is rated at 50 watts into 4 ohms. An 8 ohm speaker will reduce output to 25w. A 16 ohm will reduce it to 12.5w. Unlike tubes, increasing impedance against a solid state amp will not affect it's reliability, it will simply reduce it's output power. That said, you now need to consider sensitivity of the replacement speaker. A speaker rated at 95db @ 1watt/1 meter will produce 98db at 2 watts, 101db at 4 watts, 104db at 8 watts, and 107db at 16 watts. So at 12.5 watts your max level will be ~105.5db. I'm not sure what the sensitivity is for the stock speaker so I do not know max SPL for the stock amp.

answered 15 Jul 2018 at 04:27 PM

Jeff Curran (1)
Loading - please wait...