CODE 50 POWER

votes

Is there any way to reduce the wattage on the code 50.  50 watts is tremendously loud and I can not get the "sweet spot" with out rattling the windows.  I know the alternative is the CODE 25 but I am hesitant with the 10" speaker.   Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!!

asked 31 Oct 2016 at 01:53 PM

CHRIS CHARTERS
Answers: 4

votes

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately there is no way to reduce the wattage, its a case of playing with each preset, make sure you check the gate within each preset.

Regards

Team Marshall

answered 31 Oct 2016 at 02:18 PM

I will try that and also will give a volume pedal a shot as well! - CHRIS CHARTERS 02 Nov 2016 at 09:07 PM

votes

Whilst you can't reduce the wattage you can at try reducing the Volume and then control with the Master. The gain might be an option as well. A number of people have suggested that the 50 can be used at bedroom levels its just a question of reducing the levels and still controlling from the guitar volume as desired.

I can definitely vouch for the 25 though its a very good sound in my music room (dining room conversion) and its damn loud if I want it. check out the marshall forums (marshallforum.com) there are a number of popele on there playing with 25's and 50's.

edited 31 Oct 2016 at 08:53 PM

Alan Unwin (13)

answered 31 Oct 2016 at 08:53 PM

Alan Unwin (13)

votes

Same issue for me - I've just finished going through ALL the presets, reducing the preset volume to something decent that matches with the levels coming through Bluetooth Audio, and I can now use the Master Volume comfortably at the lower end.  I'm sure there'll be some fine tuning to come, but I had to dial everything down to between a quarter and a third of the original volume - yes, the 50 is LOUD!!  I don't remember ever getting these volumes from my 30 year old 65W Laney.

answered 17 Nov 2016 at 09:18 PM

Brian Campbell

votes

You CAN reduce the wattge. The amp is rated at 50 watts into 4 ohms. An 8 ohm speaker will reduce output to 25w. A 16 ohm will reduce it to 12.5w. Unlike tubes, increasing impedance against a solid state amp will not affect it's reliability, it will simply reduce it's output power. That said, you now need to consider sensitivity of the replacement speaker. A speaker rated at 95db @ 1watt/1 meter will produce 98db at 2 watts, 101db at 4 watts, 104db at 8 watts, and 107db at 16 watts. So at 12.5 watts your max level will be ~105.5db. I'm not sure what the sensitivity is for the stock speaker so I do not know max SPL for the stock amp.

answered 15 Jul 2018 at 04:27 PM

Jeff Curran (1)
Loading - please wait...
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing we assume that you're ok for us to store cookies on your device. You can change your cookie settings at any time, or delete cookies, by going to our cookie consent page.