Control Multiple CODE Amps. With One Footswitch

votes

Hello.

I have 2 x Marshall CODE50's and a Marshall CODE25.  I also have 1 x Marshall Footswitch (PEDL-91009).  I run the 2 x Marshall CODE50's together (signal from guitar simply being split using a stereo delay pedal).  Any ideas how I could control both of the CODE50's with 1 footswitch (just to scroll / change presets up / down on both amps at the same time without having to use two seperate footswitches as this is not practical live)???

Regards,

Dale.

edited 24 Jul 2017 at 08:35 PM

Dale Paterson (105)

asked 20 Jul 2017 at 11:28 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Answers: 3

votes

Hello Dale,

We would say that using one footswitch for two CODES connected together would not be practical for a live performance. The exchange in information from the CODE to the footswitch would cause them to get confused and most likely not work. You may find that on occasions it would work fine, but the reliabilty would not be good.

Team Marshall

answered 20 Jul 2017 at 12:36 PM

Hi Dale,
There is a way it could work, and that would be by using MIDI. But, as you can appreciate this would involve using a computer / laptop to achieve this.
If you plug in another footswitch it will not necessarily damage the amp, it just won't work.

Team Marshall
- Marshall Amplification 21 Jul 2017 at 08:25 AM
Hello.

Ignore the above post i.e. it's a dumb question. Have tried deleting it but it will not delete i.e. keeps coming back.

I think I've found the solution but hopefully Marshall will confirm.

I believe that there is a Marshall 2-way footswitch that is compatible now (latest firmware update) with the CODE amps. What model of footswitch is this???

From what I gather though: this footswitch is merely two switches in a box so the plan is to connect the buttons of two of these 2-way footswitches together (this as opposed to trying to connect one intelligent footswitch to two amps by some or the other means). Cannot see any reason for this to not work i.e. all that's going to happen is the one footswitch is going to "fool" the other footswitch into "thinking" that a button has been depressed (and visa versa and this has an addded benefit of having two footswitches at different locations on stage).

Thoughts and comments???

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 24 Jul 2017 at 11:27 AM

votes

I have 2 MG heads, and I modified the 2 button footswitch by adding buttons/cable from another footswitch. The buttons are close enough together, I can hit them at the same time. No issues!

answered 29 Jul 2017 at 01:25 PM

Hayden Blackthorne
Hi Hayden.

Thanks for the input. Very good idea. I don't think I can do this with the intelligent footswitch (PEDL-91009) that I have. I've asked Marshall if the two button footswitch for the CODE amps. (PEDL-91010) is available as yet but no answer and I've not found it available from any other online retailers either (apparently this footswitch is / will be bundled with the CODE 100 heads).

I have come up with a rather elaborate way around this using a wireless USB hub and wireless MIDI interface (have not tested yet as I am awaiting delivery of both the wireless HUB and the wireless MIDI interface). One would still need a PC hanging around but essentially it would mean that I'd be able to use my Behringer FCB1010 to wirelessley control the two CODE amps. Not an elegant solution I'll admit but at least I don't have to have MIDI cables and USB cables lying around (and not to mention the length limitation of USB which is the bigger problem really) and the PC (notebook) can just be put to the side somewhere. That's the idea anyway. Not sure if / how it's going to work but keen to try and will post the outcome.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 30 Jul 2017 at 04:23 PM

votes

Hi.

Well first: my proposed wireless MIDI setup does not work (for some or the other reason the moment I try to connect to the amps. wirelessly the notebook / PC reboots and I'm not going to spend months trying to figure out why).  Going the wired MIDI route: fine for recording but ain't gonna work live.

So (Team Marshall) please can I have a definitive answer to the following:

Will I damage my amps. (of which I now have 4 i.e. 2 x CODE25's and 2 x CODE50's) by connecting a PEDL-91009 footswith to both amps. using a simple Y-splitter (cable or box)???  I know, Team Marshall, that you told me above it would not be reliable but I'd like to find out just how unreliable it would be.  So my question is not whether or not it's going to work or be reliable: the question is simply will I damage my amps. by trying this out???  (And, I guess, for that matter, will this damage my PEDL-91009 footswitch)???

I would also like to know (for the second time and I'm not the only person around asking about this but no response): when will the PEDL-91010 be available???  The latest firmware update for the CODE amps. included support for this footswitch but to date I've not found it for sale anywhere.  Furthermore: when will the CODE100 head be available (this is the footswitch that is supposed to be being supplied with the CODE100)???  This question has been asked more than once on these forums but the latest posts seem to be being ignored.  My reason for asking: if the above setup does not work then maybe the same type of setup but with this footswitch will work (once again: I'm prepared to give it a try just as long as by trying I'm not going to do any damage) (but of course: need the footswitch to try).

Please could I get some definitive answers Team Marshall i.e. this is becoming a far bigger problem than I had given thought too.  Recording is not issue but performing live (soon) is definitely going to be a big issue.

Regards,

Dale.

answered 27 Aug 2017 at 12:47 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Loading - please wait...