PEDL-91009 Footcontroller for CODE Amplifiers gets Confused (Locks-Up) with specific Push-Button Sequence...

votes

The PEDL-91009 Footcontroller for CODE Amplifiers gets confused (i.e., it "locks-up") with a specific Push-Button sequence. While this sequence may not be a "correct" sequence of events, it could be possible to accidently use this specific sequence during a gig which will effectively "lock-up" the PEDL-91009 Footcontroller completely. Once this "lock-up" condition occurs, the PEDL-91009 Footcontroller becomes a useless brick. The only way to rectify this condition is to turn the CODE Amplifier OFF and back ON again. This would not be a good scenario to be in during a live gig.

To duplicate the "lock-up" condition, follow these steps:

1. With the PEDL-91009 Footcontroller plugged into a CODE Amplifier, turn on the AC Power Switch.
2. The PEDL-91009 Footcontroller starts up with A1 (Bank A Location 1) either flashing or steady.
3. Using the fourth Footcontroller push-button, advance the Bank to "D" by momentarily pressing the push-button 3 times.
4. Select preset Location 3 by momentarily pressing the number 3 push-button. All is good.
5. Now you need the preset stored in Location D1 so momentarily depress the number 3 push-button. All is good.
6. Now you need the preset stored in Location D2 so momentarily depress the number 2 push-button. All is good.
NOTE: D2 contains the American Overdrive Reverb preset in Location 10.
7. Now depress and hold push-button 2 until "10" appears. This is the preset's Location within the CODE Amplifier.
8. Momentarily depress the Bank push-button and the display reverts back to "D2".
9. Once again depress and hold push-button 2 until "10" appears.
10. Now momentarily depress push-button 2 again. In the display, a "C" appears which is my Tuning Mode.
11. Now (accidently) momentarily depress the Bank push-button. ***LOCK-UP***

After Step 11, the PEDL-91009 Footcontroller is completely locked-up and can only be gotten out of this situation by cycling AC Power to the CODE Amplifier. While this may be an illegal sequence of events, the firmware should be able to handle this exception without locking-up.

Besides not doing Step 11, is there a way to get out of the locked-up condition from the PEDL-91009 Footcontroller?

Thanks for your time and assistance! Dave

edited 10 Oct 2017 at 01:30 PM

David Hamm (10)

asked 07 Oct 2017 at 10:21 PM

David Hamm (10)
Can anybody with a PEDL-91009 Footcontroller on their CODE Amplifier duplicate my findings? Is anybody from Marshall viewing this thread? The footcontroller really should not lock-up no matter what you push out-of-sequence. Having to turn off the CODE Amplifier during a gig is NOT good! Thanks for your time and assistance! Dave - David Hamm 10 Oct 2017 at 01:29 PM
Answers: 4

votes

As it turns out, my MCU Firmware version was 1.3 whereas the current release is version 1.41. Once the MCU Firmware was updated to the current release, the lock-up condition was eliminated. Everything is fine now. Thanks for your time and assistance Team Marshall! Dave

answered 14 Oct 2017 at 02:32 PM

David Hamm (10)

votes

Hi David,

I tried to duplicate your "LOCK-UP" procedure 3x on a CODE100H using a PEDL 91009.  Luckily,  the lock-up thing you've experienced on your rig didn't happen on mine. I do hope that the Marshall engineers answer your query ASAP.

answered 11 Oct 2017 at 12:14 AM

CHITO REFUERZO
Hi Chito, thanks for your attempt to duplicate my lock-up condition. I also made sure that there were no firmware releases waiting to be installed. I am currently up-to-date. I have a CODE 50 so possibly, just maybe, there are slightly different firmware running the CODE series of amplifiers. Maybe somebody with a CODE 50 can chime in. Alternatively, I might see if my wife can take me up to the local guitar shop to see if they have a CODE 50 and a PEDL-91009 as a display model. Thanks again for your comment and for taking the time to try it out on your CODE 100H. Cheers! Dave - David Hamm 11 Oct 2017 at 04:14 AM

votes

Are there any Marshall engineers lurking around here? I would like to know if this is a bug or is my CODE 50 amplifier and/or my PEDL-91009 footcontroller defective. Thanks in advance for chiming in.  :-)   Dave

answered 11 Oct 2017 at 04:19 AM

David Hamm (10)

votes

Hi David,

We have sent this to our R&D team, are we are testing and trying to get this to happen, if you email us at servicedesk@marshallamps.com , we can contact you direct.

Kind Regards

Team Marshall

answered 11 Oct 2017 at 08:01 AM

Team Marshall,

I Cc'd the eMail address that you provided on an eMail sent to Sweetwater. Thanks for forwarding this to the Marshall R&D Team. If you all need anything, just let me know. Thanks!

Dave
- David Hamm 11 Oct 2017 at 09:26 PM
Hi Dave,

Thank you, will be in touch soon.

Kind Regards

Team Marshall
- Lee Tomlin 12 Oct 2017 at 08:44 AM
Loading - please wait...