Strong buzz when recording directly on USB (Code 100)

votes

When I use my marshall on the pc I get really strong buzzing when recording and hearing.

I tryed 3 different cables, and updated the firmware 3 times already.

I'm out of options, this turned to be a nightmare to me.

asked 27 Nov 2021 at 02:39 AM

Marcelo Vitor Pinheiro
Answers: 5

votes

What type of guitar are you using?

What type of sound are you wanting (high gain, clean etc).

Is there no Buzz on the sound coming out the amp (or headphones), is the buzz only on the digital audio?

Maybe you can record some audio and put it on youtube or soundcloud?

answered 27 Nov 2021 at 05:35 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

I use a Gibson SG most of the time, but it happens with all my other guitars.

I can hear it on the recorded audio only.

The sound is like a random interference that can happen any time, I had to record an one minute long track and cut the part with the buzz.

soundcloud.com/marcelo-vitor-pinheiro/buzz-gui1/s-QcsNLedFgUt?si=677a1d0b3de44aecbfb1fe3951e65c50

edited 27 Nov 2021 at 06:28 PM

Marcelo Vitor Pinheiro

answered 27 Nov 2021 at 06:26 PM

Marcelo Vitor Pinheiro

votes

Sorry, I can't hear anything. It just sounds like a 1 second guitar chord looped over and over, 

I'm sure you can hear something, but it's just not clear to me from this. Anyway if it's only on the USB it probably is digital interference, is it possible to try it on another computer? or maybe you can update your USB drivers? Or probably even better you could try downloading and using the ASIO4ALL USB audio driver? 

Maybe someone else can hear what you are referring to, and can offer other assistance?

answered 27 Nov 2021 at 07:39 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

Hello

Listening to it more closely I do hear it. It is almost like a rattling sound the starts around the 5 second mark.

It does sound to me a bit like a digital artefact. It's maybe a compatibility issue with your USB port. USB3 can sometimes be a problem, so if you have other USB ports that are USB2 maybe you can try that. However I would probably stick with trying the ASIO4ALL if you really want to use USB.

Personally I never use the USB output of amps to record, because USB in general can be problematic (not just with audio). I always much prefer either using a mic in front of the amp, or taking a line from the headphone socket direct to my audio interface. I do this with all the amps I record, some which are far more expensive than the Code's. 

answered 29 Nov 2021 at 09:26 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

I tried using ASIO4ALL, but it didn't solve the problem. 

All my ports are USB3, so I can't test using a different one.

But today I did something I should have done at first, I plugged everything (pc, monitor and code) at the same power plug. It apparently solved the problem.

Before doing it I couldn't record 30 seconds without getting the noise, now I have recorded aprox. 15 minutes and it didn't occur.

Thanks for helping me.

answered 29 Nov 2021 at 01:46 PM

Marcelo Vitor Pinheiro
Loading - please wait...