Muffled low end on code 50

votes

Hi all

I’ve recently purchased a code 50 and I’m fairly happy with it but not 100%. 

I do have a issue with the delicate volume control, which has been raised by a few people on here - but I can live with that.

My main problem is some notes sound real muffled when I kick in any thing over a clean present. I seem to be loosing clarity on a distorted chord especially the low end and even more so around the 12th fret. This is made even worse when using the bridge pickup. 

So a power chord on the 12 sounds ok when picked but as a chord, by the strike of the D string there’s hardly anything there.

I’ve tried the speaker and headphones but all feel the same. I playing a Gibson SG straight in with no other effects. 

Does any one have any suggestions? 

I’ll try and put up some recording, as I don’t have any other guitars or amps to compare against. 

asked 10 Dec 2017 at 08:49 PM

shane robinson
I have the same problem in my code 25🤷🏻‍♂️ - Mikel Lopez 11 Dec 2017 at 05:37 PM
Someone on another forum suggested Turing down the noise gate. I’ve tried and it does sound clearer. Let me know what you think? - shane robinson 11 Dec 2017 at 06:12 PM
Answers: 1

votes

Hi Shane,

There are a number of things that can contribute to the loss of clarity on the low end. When you say ‘kick anything in on a clean’ do you mean external pedals or aggressive playing? If it is pedals then you could be hitting the amps input too hard, make sure the output/volume on the pedals isn’t too high. The guitars pickups and output could make a difference, if you do get a chance to try it with another guitar then please do. 

The different amp models can also react very differently to one another. For example the more modern amps like the DSL, and JVM will have a tighter bass response in comparison to the more vintage style amp models. Also, the Code units have a huge amount of bass so don’t be afraid to really dial back the bass and resonance controls. Personally I only use less than half the amount of bass on Code in comparison to my other amps. 

Marshall Support

answered 12 Dec 2017 at 08:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify about the anything but clean, I was referring to any internal preset that had gain, distortion or overdrive.

I’ll try and get my hands on another guitar but it looks like the noise gate has a lot of effect on these notes.

I’ll have a play with the bass and see what that brings in/out.
- shane robinson 12 Dec 2017 at 10:08 AM
Loading - please wait...