Use DSL40CR in standby mode (as a preamp) without speaker connected

votes

Hi, I have DSL40CR and want to use it as a preamp only, without connecting to a speaker, since I want to use its speaker with some other power amp. Can I safely use the DSL in standby-only mode? 

asked 11 Jun 2024 at 01:07 PM

Igor Romanovsky
Answers: 1

votes

Hello,  

Using the Marshall DSL40CR in standby mode as a preamp without a speaker connected is not recommended. Tube amplifiers like the DSL40CR are designed to have a load (speaker) connected when powered on, even in standby mode. Operating the amp without a speaker can cause damage to the output transformer and other components.

Here are some steps you can take to use it safely as a preamp:

Use a Load Box: Connect a load box that matches the amp’s impedance ? to the speaker output. This device will safely absorb the power from the amp, allowing you to use the preamp section without a speaker.

Speaker Emulator: Some load boxes come with a built-in speaker emulator, which can be useful if you want to send the signal directly to a mixing console or recording device.

Check the Manual: Always refer to the amplifier’s manual for specific instructions on operating modes. The manual for the DSL40CR will provide detailed information on the proper use of the amp.

I hope the information may help you. 

edited 17 Jun 2024 at 03:56 AM

Dennis Leon

answered 14 Jun 2024 at 05:01 AM

Dennis Leon
Loading - please wait...
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing we assume that you're ok for us to store cookies on your device. You can change your cookie settings at any time, or delete cookies, by going to our cookie consent page.