Marshall code100 H (MCU v1.44 - BT v3.2) - troubleshooting

votes

Hello everyone from Portugal,

I hope you guys are safe and keeping up. Proud of another Marshall product, adding to the existing Haze 40 and the pre JMP-1, the CODE 100H. I am still going thru the details of every aspect of the digital architecture, but some do seem permanent and require your support:

1. Each saved preset will freeze the unit, muting sound, disabling "preset" knob, only mitigated by turning off and on the unit. Actually this will happen exactly the same way if I'm using the app to save the preset.

2. If by chance the app is not detecting/recognizing the amp (after previous sync's), the only way to enable this is to shut down the app and turn it back on again.

3. When the unit is ON and the volume is 0, there is a clear hum coming from the speakers. This hum is non existing when using the headphones. I am using the original cabinet cable supplied.

4. My understanding of the CAB feature, is that it should be "on", if using the DAW or headphones, and OFF when connected to a cabinet (I'm using CODE 212 btw and enjoying it). Why all the presets are factory saved with CAB "on"?

The unit was bought with the 1.44 version already installed. I have not tried yet to reinstall anything. I am using Mac, with no Windows sw.
Thanks for the support,
Pedro
(cc to servicedesk@marshall.com)

asked 02 Apr 2021 at 08:19 AM

Pedro Faria
Answers: 2

votes

Hello Pedro

Just out of interest, did you get any support direct from Marshall?

Regarding your points.

1. This sounds pretty bad, clearly something major is wrong there, I've never had that happen to me before, I would hope Marshall answer you quickly about it.

2. Yes, "occasionally" mine is the same. For me personally its not the end of the world to restart the app.

3. All amps make a humming noise to some extent, as long as its not crazy loud I think its something you have to live with. Its most likely coming from the power amp section (the real hardware power amp not the emulated one), thats why you dont hear it through headphones.

4. Not strictly true. The CAB feature is supposed to be voiced to work with Code speakers. So you dont need to switch it on or off. Having said that there are no rules and no "do's and dont's" and you wont damage anything so just go with what sounds best to you. If you like it with the CAB on through a real cab then do so, if you like it through headphones with the cab off, then thats fine too.

There is no other software available anyway. My amp came with 1.45, but apparently you can only download 1.44. 

Hope this helps

edited 04 Apr 2021 at 11:56 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 03 Apr 2021 at 09:52 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
Hi JJ,
Not yet, no support from Marshall up to this point.
1 - I've seen other forum questions with similar issues actually. But never disclosing the solution.
2 - ok, you are right, it is not critical.
3 - I have the CODE 100H side by side on the same wall socket as the Haze 40, and a Laney 12R, both valve amps, and the CODE is humming louder. I already tried with a high quality instrument cable on the cabinet input, but no improvement. Once you start playing its not an issue really.
4 - Ok, got it, I will try againg and check it out with and without speaker. What I remember from first impressions was that some cab choices produce a muffled sound, but again no cab looks sizzly and thin af.

Thanks for reaching out!
Pedro

- Pedro Faria 04 Apr 2021 at 02:01 PM

Notify me of any updates to this question
Marshall code100 H (MCU v1.44 - BT v3.2) - troubleshooting
votes

Hello everyone from Portugal,

I hope you guys are safe and keeping up. Proud of another Marshall product, adding to the existing Haze 40 and the pre JMP-1, the CODE 100H. I am still going thru the details of every aspect of the digital architecture, but some do seem permanent and require your support:

1. Each saved preset will freeze the unit, muting sound, disabling "preset" knob, only mitigated by turning off and on the unit. Actually this will happen exactly the same way if I'm using the app to save the preset.

2. If by chance the app is not detecting/recognizing the amp (after previous sync's), the only way to enable this is to shut down the app and turn it back on again.

3. When the unit is ON and the volume is 0, there is a clear hum coming from the speakers. This hum is non existing when using the headphones. I am using the original cabinet cable supplied.

4. My understanding of the CAB feature, is that it should be "on", if using the DAW or headphones, and OFF when connected to a cabinet (I'm using CODE 212 btw and enjoying it). Why all the presets are factory saved with CAB "on"?

The unit was bought with the 1.44 version already installed. I have not tried yet to reinstall anything. I am using Mac, with no Windows sw.
Thanks for the support,
Pedro
(cc to servicedesk@marshall.com)
CODE Gateway Presets Cabinet Mac USB
You have answered this question
asked 02 Apr 2021 at 09:19 AM

Pedro Faria
Add a comment
Answers: 1
votes

Hello Pedro

Just out of interest, did you get any support direct from Marshall?

Regarding your points.

1. This sounds pretty bad, clearly something major is wrong there, I've never had that happen to me before, I would hope Marshall answer you quickly about it.

2. Yes, "occasionally" mine is the same. For me personally its not the end of the world to restart the app.

3. All amps make a humming noise to some extent, as long as its not crazy loud I think its something you have to live with. Its most likely coming from the power amp section (the real hardware power amp not the emulated one), thats why you dont hear it through headphones.

4. Not strictly true. The CAB feature is supposed to be voiced to work with Code speakers. So you dont need to switch it on or off. Having said that there are no rules and no "do's and dont's" and you wont damage anything so just go with what sounds best to you. If you like it with the CAB on through a real cab then do so, if you like it through headphones with the cab off, then thats fine too.

There is no other software available anyway. My amp came with 1.45, but apparently you can only download 1.44.

Hope this helps

edited 04 Apr 2021 at 12:56 PM

Joliet Jake (12)

answered 03 Apr 2021 at 10:52 AM

Joliet Jake (12)
Hi JJ,
Not yet, no support from Marshall up to this point.
1 - I've seen other forum questions with similar issues actually. But never disclosing the solution.
2 - ok, you are right, it is not critical.
3 - I have the CODE 100H side by side on the same wall socket as the Haze 40, and a Laney 12R, both valve amps, and the CODE is humming louder. I already tried with a high quality instrument cable on the cabinet input, but no improvement. Once you start playing its not an issue really.
4 - Ok, got it, I will try againg and check it out with and without speaker. What I remember from first impressions was that some cab choices produce a muffled sound, but again no cab looks sizzly and thin af.

Thanks for reaching out!
Pedro

- Pedro Faria 04 Apr 2021 at 03:01 PM
Add a comment
votes

Maybe the hum is another symptom of your first problem. It sounds to me like there is an issue in the digital side of the amp if it locks up when saving a patch.

Yes I agree some cab models are not that great and some patches can be a bit fizzy without them. Also remember the "additional" EQ in the power amp section Presence and Resonance can make a huge difference to how a patch sounds too.
- Joliet Jake 04 Apr 2021 at 05:33 PM
Hi JJ,
Yes the power amp EQ is a great tool, for my personal taste I would rather have it on the main panel, because I keep gravitating towards that section, after understanding the limitation of the main panel.
Since its the Easter season I will wait a couple more days for Marshall feedback, in particular regarding (1). This freeze also happens when tweaking a patch both on the app and the knobs. Annoying,
Thank you.
Pedro
- Pedro Faria 04 Apr 2021 at 07:46 PM

votes

I suppose they would argue that the Presence and Resonance controls belong to the power amp section and not the pre amp section so shouldnt be on the same screen, but yes it would be useful if all the EQ was in one place.

Regarding your amp freezing. Have you tried disconnecting all your devices from bluetooth. I have noticed lately some strange behavier with bluetooth when I have multiple phones/tablets connected to it. Only one is connected at a time, but I think there is some strange interactions taking place. I was thinking it may be worthwhile trying going through any devices you have connected and getting them to "forget" the code to see if that helps.

edited 05 Apr 2021 at 09:46 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 04 Apr 2021 at 05:33 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
Hi JJ,
Well from a user design perspective makes no sense (in the app anyway), and a couple more knobs on the front panel couldn't hurt that much :D
Txs for the tip on BT, I tried it with BT off but no change at all, still freezes up... :(
Pedro
- Pedro Faria 05 Apr 2021 at 11:29 AM
Loading - please wait...